Our History
St. John the Evangelist
St. John the Evangelist Parish was founded in 1883, having been briefly a mission of North Attleboro with St. Mary's in Norton. Since its founding, our parish has grown alongside the Catholic community of Attleboro, witnessing generations of faith, service, and devotion.
1883-1908 | Our Beginnings
- September 17, 1883: A cornerstone is laid for the wooden church, (pictured on the right). The basement was finished in December of 1883, where Masses were held.
- September 22, 1885: The new Gothic Style wooden church, located on 150 North Main St. was dedicated.
- 1891: A rectory was built across the street at 155 North Main St.
- 1904: St. John the Evangelist became part of the newly formed Diocese of Fall River
- 1908: Land was purchased on West St. for SJE Cemetery.
1930-1947 | A New Church
- 1930: Plans were finalized for a new and grander church designed by Maginnis and Walsh of Boston.
- 1932: A fire destroyed the original church, while flying embers destroy local homes, and even the new church structure.
- November 6, 1932: The new stone Gothic Church at 133 North Main St. is dedicated.
- 1947: A house at 165 North Main St. is renovated as a Convent for the Sisters of Mercy, who arrived to supervise the Religious Education Program at the church.
1955-1983 | Growing in Faith
- September 4, 1955: St. John the Evangelist School opened, serving Pre-Primary and Grade 1. The Sisters of Mercy staffed the school.
- 1959: Bishop James Connolly announced plans for Bishop Feehan High School. The Sisters of Mercy made plans to move to the new convent there.
- 1960's: The church is renovated and liturgical changes of the Vatican II were implemented.
- 1961: The Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, (CCD), was established.
- 1983: St. John the Evangelist Parish celebrated its 100th Anniversary.
1996-2016 | Continuing to Grow
- 1996-1997: Plans are announced for a new Parish Center and Rectory near the church.
- 1998: The new Parish Hospitality Center was dedicated.
- 2005: St. John the Evangelist School celebrated its 50th Anniversary.
- 2010: Plans were announced for a new addition to St. John the Evangelist School.
- 2012: The school addition was finished and dedicated.
- November 6, 2016: The parish celebrated its 84th Anniversary of the dedication of the present curch.
A Living History
St. John the Evangelist Parish has remained a place where generations of families have gathered to worship, receive their Sacraments, learn the faith, and serve their community. We look forward to continuing this legacy and welcoming future generations to our parish family.

